I came across the phrase “social media optimization” today and googled it to learn more.
The optimization part is taken for search engine optimization, or SEO. This means testing and changing what you are doing on your website to get more profitable results.
So what is social media optimization?
We often think of social media’s role in brand building. But today we’re going to talk about how you can get optimize — get more results, leads, and business — from social media.
I found a great post that lists 6 ways you can optimize social: “Social Media Optimization: 6 Tips to Steal from SEOs” by Dominique Jackson on the SproutSocial.com website.
I’m going to list all six elements and briefly define each. For examples and details, check out the full post. My intent here is to get you interested, so you’ll go to the post to learn more.
Here’s my favorite quote from the post, which is also a definition of “social media optimization.”
Social Media Optimization Post
“…SMO is about strategically creating, building and maximizing your social media plan to connect with your target audience. SMO allows you to:
* Strengthen your brand
* Generate leads
* Get more visibility online
* Connect with your audience”
6 Elements of Social Media Optimization
Jackson lists six elements of your social strategy to optimize:
1. Social Media Strategy — To optimize your social strategy, you need clear goals and objectives. He references another post with 7 steps set specific social media goals.
2. Social Keywords — Track the volume of target phrases on Twitter and in social. Use popular ones in social posts. Sprout Social has a tool to track Twitter hashtags.
3. Social Profiles – Optimize your photos, be consistent with user names across platforms and have social bios with keywords relevant to your audience.
4. Social Content – Track engagement of your own and curated social content. Do more of what works. There are lots of tips in Jackson’s post on headlines, length of the post, images and hash tags.
5. Social Posting Schedule – How often should you post to Facebook or Instagram? See table in the post with suggestions of posting frequency on various social platforms.
6. Social Analytics – Optimize your social analytics using tracking code in links. These can be UTM shorteners like the Google URL builder, a free Google Chrome plugin. This allows you to see in Google Analytics what is working or not and make corrections going forward.
Steps To Start
Pick one of the six elements you can use to optimize your social media, check the full post for details on that element, and get started on that aspect.
Social Media Best Practices?
How is “social media optimization” different from “social media best practices?” It is similar I think, but the word “optimization” implies a focus on a specific goal, like leads or engagement. It also means working to improve the results for that metric.
I think I prefer “social media optimization” over “social media best practices.” Why? I like it’s emphasis on measuring and improving a specific metric.